Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Our Morning Visitor





Here is our morning visitor. He created quite a stir while we were trying to get the kids off to school and while parents were dropping kids of for preschool.












He is the neighbor's puppy/dog that has been trying to escape their back yard for several weeks. As you can see he finally succeeded this morning.















We knocked on the neighbor's door, but they had already left for work, so I was holding the rascal off until all of the kids got into the house. One of the mothers dropping her kid off was concerned with what I was going to do with him after everyone arrived. I told her I was going to let him go, but that wasn't going to work for her so, she went to the back of her SUV and pulled out the kennel that you see our visitor sitting in. Who rides around with a spare kennel in the back of their vehicle ... well, she would ... they have a ton of animals at their house, so I'm sure its handy to have one in the car.




We left a note on the neighbor's door that we have their dog. I hope, for the dog's sake that they come home for lunch, because all we have on our animal menu is cat food. Anyway our visitor is happy (see his smile), safe and anxiously awaiting the arrival of his owners.











*****UPDATE*****
HE IS A SHE. Her owner came home for lunch and rescued her. She has broken free again and has been put back into the kennel. Oh well, she'll be okay ... most people enjoy spending time with us, so I can only imgine that its even 7 times better for a dog. Of course we don't put people who visit us into a kennel.

10 comments:

echoeve said...

Some young dogs don't realize that they are to big to jump on people.
I hope the owners come home soon. I think dogs will eat cat food.

Anonymous said...

Don't you know dogs LOVE cat food?
Give em a treat.

gigi said...

Way to go Barney, having that camera ready for bloggin moments! Good post.

Amanda said...

Cute dog. If this situation has made you want one of your own, I have about 5 that you can have.

I don't think I have ever actually met a person who drives around with a dog cage in their car. Kinda cooky. Maybe she owns a pet shop...

Aramie Judd Christopherson said...

I have often wondered who Barney's friend Chris is when I have been reading Gigi's blog! The dog looks like a lab. We had a black lab that was an escape artist too. We would get calls every now and then from a lady in the neighborhood telling us that our dog was swimming in her pool. I always thought it was funny, but she didn't.

gigi said...

I think the story of how you came up with the name "Barney's friend Chris" would make for a funny post.

Anonymous said...

Another funny segment to the dog story is Amelia and my daughter Deborah running from the dog this morning as we are preparing to head to school.

Anonymous said...

In defense of the lady with the dog kennel, she has a doberman that is like another child and the kennel is his for traveling in the car with them! He's a very LARGE dog that can't really be left to roam the car while driving!

Anonymous said...

While reading "Our Morning Visitor"
I was reminded of what myself and my buddies that I ran around with in high school did to amuse ourselves one night as we rode around in Jim's grandmother's car.

We decided that it would be fun to
ride around town and pick up stray dogs that ran loose. In our day there were no laws that dogs should be enoculated or wear collars with tags.

So we began to pick up strays until we had about 4 in the back seat with me and David. All of a sudden one of them got car sick(probably never ridden in a car before)and he started to throw up on the floor and the back seat. It was the most gosh awful smell you ever smelled. We pretty quickly got them out of the car and helped Jim clean it all up as best we could. He said his grandmother was going to kill him.

That was one time one of our little pranks didn't turn out so good. We weren't bad kids or juvenile delinquents, just fun loving guys having a good time.

Barney's friend Chris's Dad(papa)

Sandman said...

That is too funny! I don't think I've ever heard you tell that story!